Re: checking chords or other piano practice ideas?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: checking chords or other piano practice ideas?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 16:41:56 +0000

On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 09:16 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> Command: Check Chords (On/Off)
> Advances through the current movement as you play the notes, stopping
> for wrong or missing notes in MIDI in.
> Location: Main Menu ▶ Input ▶ MIDI
> Internal Name: ToggleCheckChords
>
> I've just been testing this and it seems to be working fine, except
> that when you have finished it goes straight back to editing your
> score
> without warning(*) - worth a bug report.

No need for a bug report as I've fixed that problem and made the
command much more friendly - it tells you what you have got wrong when
you play wrong notes and allows you to repeat sections for practice
without stopping and restarting the command.
The Command Center entry now reads:

Command: Check Chords (On/Off)
Advances through the current movement as you play the notes from all
staffs that sound together, with the cursor moving on in the current
staff. Playing a wrong note stops the cursor and the chord/notes have
to be re-played correctly. If the current staff has a rest the cursor
stops on the note before until you have played to the moment when it
re-joins. You can reposition the cursor or edit the music (via the PC
keyboard) while continuing with this mode - the checking resumes when
you play the next note(s) in. You can arpeggiate the notes as
convenient, no particular order is required as long as all the notes
that start at the same moment are played before moving on.
Location: Main Menu ▶ Input ▶ MIDI
Internal Name: ToggleCheckChords

This version will be built overnight (in Chicago) and will be available
from the usual place
http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip