Re: Book Titles

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Book Titles
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:16:07 +0000

On Sun, 2022-02-06 at 18:07 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> Book Titles implies (to me) that it is possible to set up a print run
> with the full score and the individual parts, all in one pdf (which
> is
> how much music is distributed).
> Since I can't get my head round it I thought I would ask if I had the
> wrong end of the stick!

yes, that's the wrong end. Book Titles is just a fancier set of titles,
where the outermost title fields are put on a title page of their own
and the individual movement titles are at the start of each movement.
So for example a book of songs would have a title page followed by
individually titled songs.
You can assemble what you are thinking of as a book by creating a title
page (in whatever software you prefer) and concatenating it with PDF's
created for full score and parts: I've done this using a script (like a
bat file) which runs Denemo non-interactively with (d-ExportPDF ...)
commands and then runs ghostscript to concatenate the PDFs.
To make that work with continuous pagination would require setting the
initial Page Number score conditional on whether a specific part or
full score were being typeset for the book, but I didn't get that
fancy.
I imagine doing this would only appeal to techies, I did it because I
wanted to upload things like a set of 12 sonatas to IMSLP and doing
that would take about 36 separate upload operations involving filling
in a form describing each file, its licence, copyright disclaimer etc.
Instead it is all bundled into one PDF, and the users of IMSLP only
need one download to get the whole set. They can print page ranges for
the parts etc with correct pagination.
In case anyone listening in wants it, I attach my script - it assumes a
bash shell...