dev-serveez

[dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: [dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code
Date: 26 Nov 2002 18:35:47 +0100

Hi!

As I already stated in a previous mail, I write a P2P load
distribution "grid" based on Serveez. The system supports different
*service* types, similiar as serveez supports different *server*
types.

Now I've come to the point where i want implement the configuration of
the services. I think I can use quite some parts of the Serveez's code
nearly unmodified (but can't use the original functions). The pieces
of code I've looked at so far are:

* svz_server_configure(), svz_config_free(): This would be usable as
  is, if it didn't take a svz_servertype_t argument, but a instead a
  stucture only containing the config-relevant members of
  svz_servertype_t (prototype_{start|size}, items).

* the guile stuff regarding configuration (optionhash funcs): Haven't
  had a deep look at that, but it seems pretty generic, too.

Well, I could now go forth and simply paste the good stuff into my
code, adapting it where I see the need. However, this would be mostly
code duplication, with all problems that are entangled with that.

Another option would be to re-write the config stuff of serveez for
greater generality, abstracting it, so it's not tied up so closely with
the servertype code. What i have in mind is an interface like that:

svz_config_t *svz_config_instantiate(svz_config_prototype_t *);
void svz_config_change(svz_config_t *, svz_config_modifier_t *);

That could then be used by the servertype code (probably retaining at
least a good deal of API compatibilty).

Before I start hacking serveez, I wanted to hear some comments (/me
goes to put flamethrower-resistant clothes on ;-)).

Regards, Andy

PS: As fort the guile stuff - I'll bring that up later, so be warned ;-)
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |
address@hidden