dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code
Date: 27 Nov 2002 10:48:01 +0100

stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> On 26 Nov 2002, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>
> Hello!
>
> > Another option would be to re-write the config stuff of serveez for
> > greater generality, abstracting it, so it's not tied up so closely with
> > the servertype code. What i have in mind is an interface like that:
> >
> > svz_config_t *svz_config_instantiate(svz_config_prototype_t *);
> > void svz_config_change(svz_config_t *, svz_config_modifier_t *);
> >
> > That could then be used by the servertype code (probably retaining at
> > least a good deal of API compatibilty).
> >
> > Before I start hacking serveez, I wanted to hear some comments (/me
> > goes to put flamethrower-resistant clothes on ;-)).
>
> If I understand correctly:  You are missing some kind configuration
> possibility in Serveez?  What is it exactly?  Maybe we can add that in a
> future release...

It seems you misunderstood: I don't need more configuration
possibilities for serveez, but would like to use the config code of
serveez in my serveez-based server (which has to configure services
from servicetypes, just as serveez configure servers from
servertypes). However, the config code in serveez is closly tied up to
server-configuration. I want to cleanly separate the config code from
the server code, so serveez-based servers can use it dor their own
purposes without actually duplicating the code. I hope this has made
my intent clear.

> I always thought we covered *all* kinds of configuration items.  The only
> thing I can imagine are encapsulated structures which are missing.  If
> this is your point, I may think about getting it into Serveez someday.

No, the config stuff is enough for me, I just want to use it decoupled
from the servertypes.

FYI: I now *have* started hacking away, so I'll soon be able to send
some patches against CVS for review. That should help to clear things
up ;-)

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |