Re: [Directory-discuss] stable urls

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [Directory-discuss] stable urls
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:49:49 -0400

> So, at a minimum, http://directory-dev.fsf.org/project/emacs
> and http://directory-dev.fsf.org/project/emacs/
> should redirect to http://directory-dev.fsf.org/wiki/emacs.
> That should be a simple rewrite rule.

We have these rewrite rules in place for when <directory-dev.fsf.org>
becomes <directory.fsf.org>. We will also have redirects set-up for all
of the old category (and subcategory) pages. So,
<http://directory.fsf.org/category/aud/> ->
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/category/audio/> and
<http://directory.fsf.org/category/mp3/> ->
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Audio/mp3/>.

> Not 100% critical, but still very helpful, would be to allow a trailing
> /, so that http://directory-dev.fsf.org/wiki/emacs/ works as well as
> ../emacs without the /.  That should also be easily doable with
> mod_rewrite.

I believe that trailing slash is set to work for all project pages ... I
will need to see if I can get this added to the category pages.

> IMHO Ideal, but harder to achieve as far as I can imagine, would be to
> not change the urls at all, so that
> http://directory-dev.fsf.org/project/emacs/ remains the visible url,
> instead of introducing this new /wiki level.

I don't think we want to do this, anyhow. We will want to make sure that
search engines update their URLs over time, so we'll want to do a real
redirect if possible.

> And: orthogonal to this, but very important IMHO, is the automatic
> upcasing that now happens: .../wiki/emacs -> .../wiki/Emacs.  How would
> you feel about not doing this?  I see it as a big step backwards.

I'll think more about this issue and discuss it with John Sullivan.

Josh