Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:10:27 -0400

Adonay Felipe Nogueira via writes:

> Currently the Directory (or FSD for short, without G at the end) proudly
> states that all software listed there runs on GNU/Linux ([1]), but
> propose that we lift this requirement.
>
> This would allow small projects such as Replicant to:
>
> * Start contributing to reviews of packages that are specific to their
> base kernel (Android, CyanogenMod or LineageOS as far as I can remember).
>
> * Take advantage of the review process and structure of the FSD
> (including some of the MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki features and
> current entry data organization).
>
> * Have even more visibility in the long run. I know this might be
> unrelated or could be done anyways but, to give an example, it would be
> possible for a Replicant contributor to schedule on their agenda to also
> do Replicant-specific reviews at the same time as the FSD Friday
> meetings and so focus only on two or three chat windows, and when
> someone comes asking for Android/mobile freedom-related topics the
> Replicant contributor will already be there to catch the opportunity.
>

> # References
>

> [1]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Runs-on/GNU/Linux .

PRISM Break is an example of another directory site.

<https://prism-break.org/en/>

It allows users to pick the system they are using so they can browse
software for that system.  It also shows for each listing what systems
it runs on.  This is handy for selecting software if collaboration with
users of multiple systems is required.