Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to find USRP

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to find USRP
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 10:13:03 +0930

> This is similar to the problem I had with the audio device that doesn't
> permit it to be opened by two or more processes, see the lines containing
> EBUSY. I will try to figure out which part of benchmark_usb.py doesn't
> close the ugen device.

The problem is that benchmark_usb.py opens usrp.sink() and usrp.source(), both
which use the open() calls to access the device. On *BSD this is not possible
and is exactly the some problem as seen with the audio.sink() and
audio.source() function that I hacked around.

A possible generic solution to this is to acquire the filedescriptor for the
device which is then used by the subsequent calls. e.g.:

usrp_dev = usrp.open()   <- instantiate device
sink = usrp.sink(usrp_dev, ....)  <- open source
source = usrp.source(usrp_dev, .....) <- open sink

similar for other sink/source devices that are used with GnuRadio.

Else, *BSD will not be able to run scripts that use sink and source of the
same device simultaneously..

cheerio Berndt
Every man who says frankly and fully what he thinks is doing a public service.
[Leslie Stephen]