Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TI vs Freescale DSP for open-source development

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TI vs Freescale DSP for open-source development
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:08:36 -0500

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Alexander Chemeris
<address@hidden> wrote:

> 2) Development tools price
> Both Freescale CodeWarrior and TI Code Composer seem to be at the same
> line with about $2K per single license (correct me if I'm wrong - I
> may have missed something easily).
>
> Big minus here is that neither Freescale nor TI offer open/free
> compilers for their DSPs, which is a big roadblock for open-source
> development.

TI has a "free" download of their DSP compiler.  Information can be found here:

    http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Compiler_Releases

I don't know what the licensing is like, but I thought I'd let you
know you can at least generate code without paying $2k.

Brian