Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR standard UHD options parser module (was UHD de

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR standard UHD options parser module (was UHD default subdevice.)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:41:48 -0800

On 12/30/2011 12:16 PM, Andrew Davis wrote:
> Very true, all of it, GNUradio is quite the hodgepodge of different APIs,
> Languages, and Ideas.
> And that's not always a bad thing, it can allow great flexibility, but
> sadly it is currently doing the opposite. With required versions of SWIG,
> Python 2.x/3.x and other helper programs it ONLY compiles reliably on
> ubuntu and fedora, and only Ubuntu, not kubuntu or Xubuntu as the small
> differences in GTK versions break most of wxgui. I am also a die-hard
> FreeBSD user forced into Ubuntu as no other operating system can compile
> GNUradio since 3.2. OK sorry for the rant.

Not sure what you mean about swig. All the swigs since 1.3.31 seem to be
fine (that includes the recent 2.0.x).

Python 3.0 is just a no-go since the other dependencies dont yet support
it, let alone the gnuradio python code or build system usage of it.
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/470

There is the issue that 2.6 and 2.7 have added features and some
deprecations that we just don't have in 2.5. Anyway, I have had good
luck with 2.7 on all my systems.

And for the non linux OS crowd: GR builds fine on my msvc+windows7. I
think the OSX guys are doing fine as well.
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/CMakeWork

And please, tell us the errors you get on FreeBSD. They may be simple or
easily fixable. Let us know!

-Josh