Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:11:36 +0100

Helge Hess wrote:

> Yes, of course. See GToolKit on one approach (which certainly could be
> improved). As I said, gstep-gui might need to be dropped - I'm not
> talking about a gtk+ 'backend' (though this is somewhat technically
> interesting)

The focus of  GToolKit is to allowing GTK developer to work with ObjectiveC
and leverage bacic foundation ObjectiveC objects for this ...

IMHO to speedup GNUstep I think it would make a lot more sense to
build a  "component" NSView subclass type that could wrap around an entire
high level widget from a foreign widget set ... like textsystem, html browser,
spreadsheet.
In a way such that events on the runloop and redrawing get shared properly.

Like this the remaining large scale components could be filled quickly,
resulting in a  usefull system ...

Cheers
Peter