Re: GNUstep Package Re-org (Was: GNUstep download section)

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: GNUstep Package Re-org (Was: GNUstep download section)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:13:01 -0600

Helge Hess wrote:
> Agreed ! Probably gstep-env ...

    Thanks, that's a better name.  I've started working on a gnustep-env
package which does the directory layout and contains most of the shell
scripts currently in gnustep-make.  I'm attempting to make the user
experience more robust, e.g. by trying to make things work if just
$GNUSTEP_ROOT is defined, and failing gracefully if it's not.  I'm
hoping everybody likes the results enough to incorporate it.

> >     * Turn gnustep-base and gnustep-gui into simple framework projects.
>
> I don't like frameworks ;-)

    Why is that again?  Is it because bundles are better?  It's kinda
hard to load gnustep-base as a bundle, though!  :-)  I like the
framework idea because it groups resources together more logically, and
it could simplify a fair amount of gnustep-base code which looks for
those resources.  And that's in addition to providing a standard place
for the makefiles to look for package-specific options.

> This is for a development-tree. For binary pkgs you don't need to
> require gnustep-make at all !

    Yep!

--
All persons, living or dead, are purely coincedental.