Re: AppIcon patch revisited

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: AppIcon patch revisited
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:43:43 +0200 (EET)

On  9 Feb, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> Relaying the left click to wmaker allows wmaker to move the appicon
>> around.
>
> If the backend gives the left mouse click to Window Maker, then the
> app (ie the code written using the OpenStep API) doesn't get it, and

Of course it does. Relaying doesn't mean that you completely give away
the event. you receive the event, process as you need, then duplicate
it (send a copy of it) to wmaker. So _both_ your app and wmaker get the
event (if you decide the events needs to be relayed to wmaker).
You can pass it to your app to do whatever it needs with it, then if
necessary send a copy to wmaker too.

Remember that the event come to you being sent by the window manager.
the app requested to receive those events, so the window manager don't
interpret them, but instead it send them to your app, considering its
the app's job. Then your app after processing the event, may send a copy
back to wmaker, so that wmaker will also process the event itself, like
if it wasn't registered by the app.

In fact I think that all you need to relay to wmaker is the left click
to allow icon movement. all others are not needed to be relayed (at
least I don't remember any reason right now).
Of course you need to be careful with this relaying to not get starnge
behavior. For example if the appicon has some button on it, and the
user clicks on it, then you won't relay the click to wmaker, else
wmaker may start to move your appicon around, while you don't want this.
But if the appicon contains just some image (either static or updated
in real time), then it can safely pass the left click no matter where
it is in the appicon window, since you want to be moved around by
wmaker no matter where it was clicked.
This means that some logic needs to be implemented behind the relaying
of events to wmaker, but essentially it should be workable.

--
Dan