Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:35:16 -0700

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:00:07 +0200
Björn Gohla <b.gohla@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 June 2001 22:34, Mondragon, Ian wrote:
> > i don't think anybody's aiming to make GNUstep "KDE-like". :-)
> > that's like suggesting to make GNOME "KDE-like"...kinda rubs against
> > the grain of the whole philosophy behind the project.
> that was specifically not the point of my posting, i rather wish the
> different toolkits would get along better. i do not mind so much that
> applications look different.
> that apart, the question is why kde and gnome are more popular than
> gnustep  and what can be done about this.

Hype.

I've checked every issue of iX and c't (two major German computer
magazines) starting from 1990 till 2000 (don't have 2001 issues here)
and found several articles about GNOME and KDE - but NONE about GNUstep.
A shame.

Well, KDE is popular, because it looks and "feels" like Weendoze,
which makes it appealing to new users coming from Win.

Gnome, well, it's diffent to KDE, which makes it appealing to
"Weendoze? Nono"-zealots. For most, that's enough reason to use it.

--
Chris