Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:15:12 -0800

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:53:25 +0200 (EET)
Dan Pascu <dan@services.iiruc.ro> wrote:
> > I don't want to start another FW, but I'm curious:
> I hate when this happens. Why it always has to be "Us versus Them"?

*sigh* There it starts ...

> > Why should GNUstep be bend to fit Window Maker, not vice-versa?
> Maybe because gnustep apps try to use wmaker's dock? And to be able
> to work, the dock needs a certain amount of info from the app
> itself? And why should Window Maker be bend to fit GNUstep, not
> vice-versa? Does this make any more sense? If we try to cooperate
> to work better together, then stop this "you should _always_ do it
> my way" attitude.

I didn't imply that, nor was it my intention to.

> > According to WMaker's HP, WMaker offers integrated support, so
> > should not WMaker be changed to accept what GNUstep offers?
> You really have no clue, do you? This is all about the X server.

No reason to be rude. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about,
usually ...

> wmaker and gnustep do NOT talk directly to each other. They talk
> through the X server's protocols and conventions. If they both
> comply to them, they can understand each other. is that simple.
> so go to the X people and tell them how much you hate them if you
> have to, but please stop this nonsense about wmaker trying to
> impose conventions on gnustep. wmaker is a X client, so it should

I didn't imply that either. If you take a closer look, I was
merely asking a question, NOT stating a fact.

> comply to X conventions and protocols. As long as gnustep is an X
> client too, and tries to talk to other X clients, it should comply
> to the rules too. Else you need to create your own windowing system
> and be on your own.

Correct. And that's exactly my point. Window Maker sets a couple
of atoms, as it is supposed to be, to notify other clients of its
capabilities. However, what I was refering to is, that GNUstep,
that is, the backend, checks for specific Window Maker atoms and,
as far as I can see, relies on what Window Maker has to offer. In
itself not a bad idea. However, as Bjoern Gohla already pointed out,
_other_ window-managers are left alone.
Essentially, that means, IF you want full support for GNUstep, you
HAVE to use Window Maker, and THAT is NOT a good idea, in MY (NSHAM)
opinion ...

Once again: I *do* like Window Maker, but there ARE people with
different preferences out there ...

--
Chris