Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:43:02 +0200

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > So long as Cocoa is a proper superset of the spec, it strictly speaking
> > (no pun intended ;) )  remains an OpenStep implementation.   I also
> > think that if certain parts of it have been done away with that it's
> > still fair to consider it an OpenStep implementation since the spec
> > hasn't been updated for almost eight years.
>
> Apple do not seem to be even _considering_ OpenStep. The new stuff they've
> created has a rather different API style, and the new classes are
> substantially overengineered when compared to the OpenStep philosophy (and
> the Unix philosophy, for that matter).

What do you mean by that? Cocoa is still OpenStep wrt previously existng APIs,
of course they add new stuff which cannot be OpenStep, but I consider this is a
GoodThing - the OpenStep spec is 8 years old and a lot has changed since then
(I don't say every addition they made is good or necessary, though...). Now if
the new classes are well designed or not I cannot judge, I never used them so
far...

What would you have done better then, please give us an example!?

> > One final note: It is worth mentioning that MOSX and Cocoa are very
> > likely directly based on source code for OPENSTEP4.2/Mach.   I can't
> > really think of a more direct descendent.
>
> Apple's Foundation is based to a large degree upon CoreFoundation, a C
> library. This is one of the reasons Apple's Foundation is so slow, and a
> reason why it is not a direct descendant from OpenStep.

But isn't CF the extracted FoundationKit functionality put in C lib...?  And
why should it be slow just because it is C, do you have numbers ( ie. OPENSTEP
4.2 vs. Mac OS X/Cocoa )? I admit I cannot follow your reasoning...

-Phil

PS: I don't try to defend Apple, I just don't understand your message - and I
also get somehow tired of these Apple bashing discussions ( from both sides,
ex NeXT and ex Mac OS )...:-)
--
Philippe C.D. Robert     |  VNET# 559-1565
Core Rendering           |  Office: +41 (0)32 732 15 65