Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 11:33:14 +0000

> The reason it is called apple is that there is a -setAppleMenu: method in
> the Cocoa API.  Apparently (by trial and error) I found out that you need
> to call setAppleMenu: on the first submenu to have it to work.  If that
> method (name) is obscure, it's Apple's fault :-)

...as with so any things in the post-NeXT world :-) o.k., that makes sense
now. I think what would be a good thing to have, however, would be a "base"
set of gsmarkup files which do the same as a "new project" in Interface
builder does - i.e. come with all the standard menus attached so you just
add your own at the end. Alterting the example so that the gsmarkup
file was loaded before application main rather than in a delegate might
also be advantageous if you really wnat people to do it at that point, as I
suspect that an awfull lot of code is written by taking an example and
modifying it.

> I need feedback, so if you have comments or suggestions, please keep me
> informed!

I'm sure I can provide some of that - if I get annoying just tell me to shut
up :-) I havent found any bugs at all so far you will be pleased to know!
Anyway, heres 5 questions which have come up - I dont know if these are
actually missing bits or if I just havent found the way to do thhem
yet (though I did rummage through the source code before asking...)

1) How do I put an image into the interface ? I couldnt find any way of doing
   this at all. I ended up attaching it to a button that does nothing as
   a temporary fix.

2) How do I put a button onto a window but have it disabled ? An attribute
   of enabled="no" would be useful to have. I went looking for this as a side
   effect of my workaround to the Image problem :-)

3) How can I set the tag, action and taget for the individual menu elements
   on a popup menu ? I can set a target and action for the popup as a whole
   but not for the individual menu elements. Withough being able to set the tag
   on the menu elements then using a single action for the whole popup becomes
   impossible as you cant differentiate between the items except by name (which
   may change due to translation).

4) I know that a proprotional vbox makes everything the same height, but how
   do I create one where everything is the same width ? In this case I want
   to 3 line box wth some text above and below, and a dividing line in the
   middle, which stretches the whole way across the box.

5) How to embed a custom view inside something ? I can see how to create
   a completely custom object, but does it intelligently work out if thats
   a subclass of NSView and act on it approrpiately if I put it inside
   a vbox for example ?

Thats all the issues I came across just converting one simple App (not
yet finished). I'm sure more will come up, though they are fairly minor
things really. I'll let you know :-)

cheers,

-bat.

PS: Is anyone else out there using this stuff yet ? If not then I seriously
    recommend it. It would be realy nice if all the Apps could be moved over
    to this rather than using gorm or gmodel files.