Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:08:09 -0800

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:45:59 +0530 (IST)
Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@vsnl.com> wrote:
[...]
> > > So which FreeBSD supports GNUStep absolutely well?
> > I use FreeBSD 4.7 (STABLE) and that works great. I've used GNUstep
> > on many of the 4.X series and it always works fine.
> Many of the 4.x??
> I guess there have been only two (4.3 and 4.7) isn't it??

I've been using GNUstep on FBSD since 3.5. The only _problem_ seems to
be with OpenSSL.

> > 1) get GNUstep from  CVS
> Got it downloaded seperately from a high speed connection...
> Can I copy the files (some are tar.bz2 and some are tar.gz)
> > 2) Install gnustep-make
> > 3) Install /usr/ports/lang/gnustep-objc
> > 4) Re-install gnustep-make - now it will use the new libobjc
> > 5) Install the rest of GNUstep
> That should be fun ;)

An easier way that works, is to edit /etc/make.conf (which may not exist
be default) and add an entry

        WANT_THREADS_SUPPORT=YES

Then install /usr/ports/lang/gcc3x

> > You will need to configure the GUI specifying the tiff library
> > directly bu the way...
> How do I do that?

If you installed tiff from /usr/ports/graphics/tiff GNUstep _will_
automatically find the libs.

> > This gives a pretty stable GNUstep system. I;veonly had big problems
> > when trying to move to compiling with the GCC3 compilers...
> Please check out the docs on the GNUStep website, I saw some notes
> about how to get it compiled with GCC3.x on FreeBSD 4.x

As said above, the only problem with GNUstep on FBSD is in -base when
you do NOT disable OpenSSL (configure --disable-openssl).
NSURL will be broken if you use the default OpenSSL installation. I'm
not sure about installing the one in /usr/ports/security/openssl.

The only problem with gcc (version < 3.3) is a rare internal error when
using protocols, as mentioned in another mail.
gcc33 seems to work fine (so far ;-).

--
Chris