Re: One small thing about application names.... :)

From: Dirk Theisen
Subject: Re: One small thing about application names.... :)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:23:41 +0100 (Europe/Berlin)

Hi!

.app is just the extension -- calling something MyName.app is silly
and confusing, because it's mixing up the app's name with its on-disk
filename.

I agree its silly - but thats what everone used to do in *Step days
(or at least they did amongst the people I talked to). Usually to
indicate it was an App we were talking about as opposed to a proper
Unix utility. What do OSX people do ?

The app suffix is never shown in Apple's GUI. So most people do not know it is there. As a consequence they cannot use the app suffix when talking about applications. :-)

However, Edit.app is no longer it is now called "TextEdit" which is less confusing when said in a sentence.

Greetings,
    Dirk