Re: Fonts in .gorm files

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Fonts in .gorm files
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:42:56 +0200

On Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003, at 20:22 Europe/Berlin, David Ayers wrote:

Gregory John Casamento wrote:

The current CVS version of Gorm and GUI support using default fonts. The user can select if the system, user, menu or etc font should be used. This will
unarchive to the appropriate font on any given system.

This functionality was added yesterday or the day before.

Great! This is exactly what Gorm should do!

  Renaissance is not the only solution.

Please don't take this personal. Gorm is the right tool for certain situations. But Andreas asked for a guarantee, that the contents of controls won't get clipped, no matter how large the system/menu/user font is. Gorm (nor IB) just cannot insure this. This can be done with Renaissance.

I wonder how those UI's will look if your system font is 100pt. ... Personally, I don't think that a box layout system is a guarantee for good looking UIs under all circumstances. Also, UI's done with box layout systems in my experience are way (much!) harder to design than with Interface Builder/Gorm - and usually even experienced UI designers had their troubles with it (I know it from Swing, personally). This is contrary to what most people do believe. Usually the argument is along the lines that because boxes are a clean and well structured approach it's much easier for programmers to design such UIs. Also, it seems to be widely believed, that programmers have no design skills and with box layout systems wouldn't be required to have such talent - so it's obviously a better approach. In my experience the constraints imposed by each box/layout styles have lots of subtle interactions that are at times very hard to understand - not to mention to solve. I've spent several hours solving issues in Swing that never occured to me in Interface Builder on OPENSTEP/Mac OS X. On the contrary, I never felt I could have designed something easier using a box layout system.

Interestingly, the whole problem is hard to notice at first, because box layout systems appear to be easier to understand as they are 'cleaner' structured. Go design a complex UI with both approaches and see for yourself.

That doesn't mean that Renaissance doesn't have other drawbacks. (Like you don't get WYSIWYG layout.) Choose the tool that best fits your needs.

Gorm could be used as a WYSIWYG editor I think. How one would graphically handle the layout constraints imposed by the box layout system in Gorm is another question, though. It could be done similar to the way the 'guiders' work, but probably indicating 'destination boxes' instead.

There is one real advantage of Renaissance over Interface Builder/Gorm, however: Renaissance interfaces are truly cross platform.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com