Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:25:14 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

David Ayers wrote:

But back the issue at hand... Should we keep, or rather aim at supporting apple-apple-gnu? - and therefor stop relying on the gnustep/base gnustep/gui header indirection - with all the implications it has on NSCoding archives (but then again we have the same issue with apple-apple-apple)

With some feedback from others, I came up with this potential approach...

configure option: --enable-multi-openstep
- must be 'yes' on OS X and defaults to 'no' everywhere else

when set to 'yes' (or symlinks are not available) produces:
Headers/GNUstepBase/GS*.h
Headers/GNUstepFoundation/Foundation/NS*.h
Headers/GNUstepGUI/GS*.h
Headers/GNUstepAppKit/AppKit/NS*.h

Why both GNUstepFoundation and GNUstepAppKit? Can't they both go under Headers/GNUstep (or Headers/gnustep as it is now)?

*If* we supported apple-apple-gnu, then we would need to decouple -base/-gui. In other words, we would need seperate -I for -base and -gui and therefor seperate directories. But after some private discussions and reconsiderations, I'm convinced that supporting apple-apple-gnu comes with a lot of compatibility and Foundation/-gui-integration trouble and I don't see any real value, once we have -guiadd.

I'm working on an alternative suggestion, that may be ready for posting later today. But the gist of it will be:
- keep a coupling of -base/-gui and Foundation/AppKit
- use .gorm for *-gnu-gnu and .nib for apple-apple-apple
- have configure option to support mutliple openstep installations independant of -enable-multi-platform

Cheers,
David