Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:19:28 +0800

Why not build gnustep from scratch (like lfs)? Im trying it now and im tempted to break out of unix on the second stage install.

On 2003-10-27 11:13:24 +0800 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 07:28 AM, Ian Jones wrote:

I think my approach would be to early on in the build script check if dependancies are met by the system, if critical ones aren't met then bail out presenting the user with clear explanition, wheather a required library is missing or too old, or the lack of functionality if the user wishes to continue the build without certain components. I think let them take care of their system and just let gnustep build script only worry about telling the users what it needs to build the environment, at least for now.

I've been toying around with this install script, although I'm not really sure what should become of it. Basically, I want it to install a bare-bones system that would just allow you to start up some graphical installation package which could be more sophisticated.

You could think of it as a super compile-all script, which does an automatic configuration check and prints out a report telling you if GNUstep will work on your system. Then it builds and installs GNUstep for you (after you have corrected any problems).

Currently the configuration is out-of-date so it doesn't check all dependancies, and it depends on having actual tar.gz files in the ../sources directory (see the ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/iso/gnustep-Aug03.iso.gz for the complete setup). But you can try to run it and see how it works.