Re: XML idea

From: richard
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:09:32 +0000

On 2004-01-06 15:12:25 -0800 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
This is the kind of wrapper that should go into my PortabilityKit.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know that a PortabilityKit even existed. Since portability is pretty important, should this kit be included along with core, so it's not so obscure? Portability should be an out-of-the-box capability, right? Not something you have to 1) know about; and 2) go download somewhere.

The extensions library is available for a looong time. Not sure why we need a new "PortabilityKit" library.

The problem with the extension library was that its copyright was not owned by the FSF, and I think FSF policy was that it should therefore not be distributed as part of GNUstep.

For this reason, the base additions library was added to the base library, so extensions and portability issues could be addressed by code which (while clearly separated from the main base library source for clarity) would be available as part of the core distribution.

I don't believe that the extensions library contains any compatibility code that the base
additions does not address.

It sounds like the PortabilityKit is an alternative to the base additions library ... if assigning copyright to the FSF is not a problem, why not just contribute to the additions?