Re: Project Center inspiration sshots

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: Project Center inspiration sshots
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:24:10 +0100

Hi,

Am 03.01.2005 um 16:35 schrieb stefan@agentfarms.net:
I am not sure that I can say that I agree. PC despite of its name is (should
be) an IDE.

Why should it? I don't really see the need for an integrated development environment; in a DO-capable environment such as GNUstep, components just need to be aware of each other. So PC could be the hub that brings editor, class modeler, interface builder etc. together. Therefore "Project Center", as the center of project development.

To make myself clearer: Personally, I'm not a friend of (any of the available) IDEs at all. GNUstep offers the possibility of making the development environment look integrated, while in reality it consists of several different components that can be chosen from.

As of UML: yes, it can be useful. But at this moment it is too far to be
achieved.

I don't think so. It's a lot more ambitious, true. But IMHO it's quite doable. Nothing against keeping it in mind for later and offering a ST-like browser right now, though. It's just that there are a number of things to be said against such a browser. There are also a number of things to be said against UML or similar graphic tools. So I think there should be an option for editors (e.g. between a GNUstep-ized Emacs/vim/other trad. text editor, Smalltalk-like code browser, graphical tool, ...)

Regards,
Björn
--
Björn Giesler. UI Fascist, Mac Zealot, Gadget Freak.
Mail: bjoern@giesler.de - Web: http://giesler.de