Re: WebKit Bounty

From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr.
Subject: Re: WebKit Bounty
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:09:17 +0800

Camille Bourgoin wrote:
> On 2007-03-02 09:39:50 +0100 Chris B. Vetter <chris.vetter@gmail.com> wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>>> OMG! no way! Thats BIG!
>>> I think i would rather start playing with expat and focus on xhtml and
>>> other xml stuff.
>>>
>> I'm not sure how recent my checkout is (some time around December, I
>> think) and how much of it IS actual code. There's tons of testing
>> stuff as well. But still, even if you divide it by 2, it's a lot...
>>

> In my opinion, a web framewok is absolutely essential. What is the
> best solution ? Starting a Framework from scratch ? Using a preexistent
> lightweight engine ?

Its hard to say really. Ideally a lightweight engine would be a better
start if one is available. I think the only way is to try and fail. Se
we find out which one will do.

A start from scratch is better done by someone who has experience with
current web frameworks if one wants to catch up with currrent web
technology. But if emerging web technology is the focus then anyone with
a good understanding of xml will probably be able to create one from
scratch.

Maybe if we could agree on an easy to implement subset then that might
be something.

I think the second option has higher value in the long run since the
widespread adoption of web technology in areas other than the web seems
to be the trend. I think DO over REST would be a very nice thing to have.

> I'm not a programmer (I'm a philosopher and I'm a poor beginner in
> sh/lisp/C/objective-c who learn a lot but can't doing nothing :(
> ), then I don't realize correctly the amount of work of porting a
> Framework like WebKit... Is the project unmanageable ?

I dont think so. But thats only me.  There was initial  success in
porting webkit but im not sure if it is still active. And my efforts to
help was ineffective.