Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:09:13 -0600

To take that a step further ... even if some people are really hostile to an idea on the discussion list, that doesn't usually reflect the attitude of the project as a whole or that of the core developers, and it's highly likely that other people would welcome contributions that a small minority have loudly complained about. It's also easy to massively over-estimate the amount of opposition that the author of an email meant to communicate.

So, it would be a mistake to be put off by negative sounding comments. Rather, you should assess them, take technical ideas from them where appropriate, and make up your own mind.

This is a great point. I originally posted the bounty for WebKit because, as a web developer, that really _is_ what I would like to see, and what I am willing to put money towards. However, SimpleWebKit and some of the other solutions that have been brought up (like using HTML Tidy), don't seem like bad ideas in the slightest -- in fact, they may very well turn out to be great solutions that get us further than a port would. So, while the bounty doesn't apply to them, that doesn't mean that those options shouldn't be explored, if they scratch someone's itch by covering the use-cases that their app requires.

J.