Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:22:33 -0500

On 2007-06-25 22:48:17 +0800 Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

6. Is there a good way to run a gecko browser in GNUStep way? I mean, firefox doesn't look like a GNUStep application when I run it in GNUStep.

I have read on the web that work is in progress to build a framwork for web rendering for whole GNUStep including building a browser (vespucci). I am glad GNUStep developers are working on a GNUStep browser. But as a novice user I have a question: as described on the webpage, "Apple has not released it's WebKit under open source so GNUstep WebKit provides a WebKit implementation from scratch." Everytime when I see message like "start from scratch" in an opensource project I worry about it, usually it means it will be long long time before I can use it, I heard such words from enlightenment E17 (and finally given up using enlightenment because they have nothing new and stable in recent 9 years), from Haiku as well as other opensource projects. I wonder (purly from a novice user's view) why not use gecko engin which is GPLed, widerly used (more market share then all webkit browsers) and probably do have API at higher level? It looks like gecko-based browsers are easy to build (otherwise there wouldn't be so many), perhaps we can have an earlier release if there is an gecko-based GNUStep browser?

Probably there are technical reasons behind it that I don't know of. e.g. gecko is not written in Objective-C. I'd be thankful if someone comment on this:)