Re: LLVM

From: Andrew Pinski
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 05:39:24 -0800

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2008, at 5:25, David Chisnall <csdavec@swansea.ac.uk> wrote:

Most of the new 'features' of Objective-C 2.0 are in the compiler, rather than the runtime. The few that need runtime support can get it from my runtime, which has a Self-like object model and provides a superset of the required functionality (the design goal was to support Io and Objective-C 2.0 in the same runtime).

And my point is these runtime changes should just be added to the gnu runtime.

I looked at adding support for it to GCC, but the GCC Objective-C code is about 10,000 lines of completely unreadable C and preprocessor macros mangled together.

If you knew the history of this code you would blame the same person who is writing clang. I guess everyone forgets that the objc front was original written by Steve. I had hope to clean up the front-end but never got around to it because I always had better things to help out with inside GCC.

LLVM supports x86, ARM, SPARC and PowerPC with experimental MIPS, Alpha and IA64 support. What other platforms does GNUstep support?

Let's see 68k, sh, hurd. The ppc64 support is weak at best. Debugging support is not really supported. Should I continue? I can go on and on. I guess I have anti-LLVM ever since Chris and Apple started to spread FUD.

-- Pinski