Re: Relocatable packages

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Relocatable packages
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:40:27 +0100

On 19 Jun 2010, at 19:27, German Arias wrote:

> Some questions about relocatable packages:
>
> 1) Is possible install gnustep-base in other place than USER, LOCAL,
> SYSTEM,...?

You can only install into one of the defined installation domains (eg LOCAL)
But ... you can redefine those domains to point wherever you like ... son in
practice you can install anywhere.

> On wiki say that I can use my own GNUstep.conf file.

Yes.

> But even when I point other directory to install this (on my personal dir),
> when I type "make install", I get the error:
>
> /usr/bin/install: can't delete
> «/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/Additional/base.make»: Permission
> denied
> make: *** [before-install] Error 1

Sounds like you don't have write access to your own gnustep-make installation
and the system is trying to update your gnustep-make with information about
base.
You need to reprotect gnustep-make so you can modify it, or work with another
copy of gnustep-make that you can modify.

> Even when I try GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=USER. Need I an special
> configuration to gnustep-make when build Base?

> 2) I suppose that GUI and Back don't need an special configuration, right?
>
> 3) What about my app, Need I build this with an special configuration? Or
> need an special configuration to gnustep-make when build the app?

For relocatable systems the only special thing you need to do is configure base
to be relocatable ... everything else will take location information from base.
See the sections on the 'GNUstep Configuration File' and 'Relocatable packages'
in  the base documentation  (online at
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/index.html)