Re: Chameleon - UIKit for Mac development

From: Nicholas Levin
Subject: Re: Chameleon - UIKit for Mac development
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:54:09 -0400

On Jun 13, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12. 6. 2012., at 05:16, Nicholas Levin wrote:
>
>> I am not a GNUstep expert, nor am I a lawyer… : )
>>
>> Chameleon has a strong dependency on Core Animation and Core Text. GNUstep
>> doesn't support either, yet. Ivan's promising work should provide a good,
>> uh, foundation for the CA bits and pieces.
>
> From what I can see, we DO have a Core Text implementation as part of Opal :-)
>  http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/opal/trunk/Headers/CoreText/
>  http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/opal/trunk/Source/OpalText/
>
> How much of it is implemented, I have no idea, as I never before had to use
> CoreText. :-)

I did take a look at OpalText about a month ago. Several significant bits are
still stubbed out, and the rest references NSFont. Still has some ways to go.

If nobody picks it up in about two months, I could see if I could try to do
something with it using FreeType 2.

I have enough Core Text war stories under my belt that I think I could do it
some justice. : ) Some parts of that API make me long for the days of ATSUI.