Re: Problem with Gorm Translate

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Problem with Gorm Translate
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:19:17 -0600

Hi,

On 2013-10-24 10:04:26 -0600 "Lee, Seong-Gu" <sgleehd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> A few problems were found with Gorm for translating .gorm resources.
>
> Firstly, all string resources are not extracted.
> "Gorm -> Document -> Translate -> Export Strings" makes .strings text
> file, but some strings are omitted. For example of
> "core/gui/Panels/English.lproj/GSPageLayout.gorm", the words such as
> "Paper Orientation", "Portrait", "Landscape", "Dimension", "Scale" and
> etc. are not exported. So these should be worked manually at Gorm
> attribute window. Moreover, after saving translated work, "Export
> Strings" generate string resources different from original one. Should
> unexported strings be not translated? or Gorm cannot extract all strings
> resources?

Gorm cannot extract all strings. This is a known bug.

> Secondly, translated strings seem not to be preserved or not to be
> displayed for some cases. Especially "Undo" and "Redo" of gui main menu
> always shows untranslated text when excuting applications such as Gemas,
> Ink which have undo and redo features. However, when opening .gorm
> resource with Gorm, translated strings are conserved. I could not find
> any stranges when looking after "Transalte" feature of Gorm source
> itself. Is it related with NSUndoManager or GMArchiver?

This should be translated in GNUstep, not in each app. See for example:

base/Resources/Spanish.lproj/Localizable.strings

And

gui/Resources/Spanish.lproj/Localizable.strings

> Thirdly, "cvtenc" tool seems not to work properly when converting UTF-8
> strings to EscapeIn strings (/Uxxxx) while EscapeOut did well. GNUstep
> resources strings should be UTF-8 native language code or ascii encoded.
> Alternatively, native2ascii in JDK and uconv, iconv worked.

Don't know. I don't use it. But you can write the text normally and later
replace
all the characters. Or add these characters to Gemas (file gemas/Resources/non
EnglishCharacters.plist), so you can type these directly in the file.

Germán.