Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:58:49 +0100

Hi,

On 11/23/13 20:02, Gregory Casamento wrote:
Understood and entirely anticipated. :)
I wrote it just because :) My first sentiment would be to be silent and actually work on themes or fix bugs!
Not having a fallback in gui might be a problem since not all themes need to
draw all widgets.  What I propose is having GNUstep load whatever theme is
deemed “Default” in the themes directory and, if that’s not present, fall back
to the current GNUstep look.
You would still install the next-style theme by default to always have the fall back. For specialized applications or packagings you may want to be able to do better or optimize

Part of the reason why we “do little” is because there is such vociferous
defense of many things by people who are uncomfortable with change.
Some of these people you accuse actually do work on themes, but are not supported. Others perhaps just complain, others watch.
Whatever you intend, as long as you talk about changing the default theme,
people will read that as replacing/getting-rid-of the current look (rather than
supporting equal alternatives).  While I know that's not what you mean, it's
counterproductive as it will always produce opposition from anyone who likes
the current theme, and even from people who might like a new theme better!  IMO
you should simply provide/advertise at least one good new look rather than
'threatening' a change.
Very sensible. The first thing to do is to offer a valid alternative. Actually, not one,
just more. As people have different "goals" for GNUstep, so they have different
needs in their themes.
Indeed.
This is an important point.

Once you have several themes, well maintained, working and advertised in
special pages on gnustep.org, gap or etoile, then you will see that this
discussion is actually moot.
Don’t declare a discussion moot until it’s actually been had.  I often find
it’s people who declare such things that are afraid of the discussion itself.

Reread my statement. I am saying that when what Richard and I propose will be done, the discussion will be of less importance: the choice and freedom will be there, users will have the choice and the only choice to do is how to deliver the wanted default, which can be even trivially done by a distribution when installing the package, by an automatic system inside gnustep that activates themes with a certain priority if they are available or other means.

I of course also imply that curenntly, without the above mentioned, the discussion is uninteresting.

This is quite different of what you are accusing me.

Riccardo