Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 03:49:32 -0500

Maxthon,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Maxthon Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
> Sorry…
>
> If this is the case then I would suggest those AppKit and UIKit enhances,
> sort of bringing GNUstep up to speed with OS X:
>
> 1) Storyboards. This is how Xcode arrange user interfaces now.

For UIKit.  Storyboards are rarely used for Mac apps.   I agree,
however, that they should be implemented.

> 2) QuartzCore and WIndowServer based on Wayland and EGL. This will replace
> Window Maker with a higher performance interface engine, and replace
> gnustep-back entirely. (“windowmaker-wayland” is a Wayland-only compositor
> that have the OS X look and feel, “gnustep-qe” implements QuartzCore API
> using Wayland and EGL, and gnustep-gui rewritten to use gnustep-qe instead of
> gnustep-back)

Wayland is something we are already talking about supporting.

> 3) Metal, which can be mapped to Vulcan(“gnustep-metal-vulcan”), Mantle (for
> AMD cards, “gnustep-metal-mantle”) or CUDA (for nVIDIA cards,
> “gnustep-metal-cuda”)

Nice idea.

> 4) SceneKit and SpriteKit, both can be implemented on top of Metal.

Indeed.

> 5) loginwindow (which is necessary in building a complete desktop experience)

Check out gap, there is a loginwindow I started years ago.

>> On Nov 17, 2015, at 06:13, Luboš Doležel <lubos@dolezel.info> wrote:
>>
>> Dne 16.11.2015 v 07:56 Maxthon Chan napsal(a):
>>> How about this - a bit of endeavour in kernel space, Linux-as-XNU:
>>>
>>> 1) A kernel module that implement XNU kernel’s syscalls in Linux kernel
>>> 2) A Mach-O dynamic loader for Linux that can work with binfmt_misc