Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:50:55 +0100

On 04 Dec 2015, at 16:24, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

On 4 Dec 2015, at 09:55, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:

Primary hosting on Github? *shrug* there are no strong benefits, I think, and sufficient number of people would be happier if we hosted elsewhere.

I strongly disagree with this.  The benefits for collaboration from being able to easily see who has forked your repo, to post comments on their code asking about upstreaming, and so on are huge.

GitHub is far more than just a hosting service (though one that has an issue tracker that integrates tightly with the revision control system, and a decent code review system), it’s also a social platform and that’s where the majority of its value lies.

I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--