Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices

From: Patrick Cardona
Subject: Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:20:04 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

--
Bien cordialement,
Patrick CARDONA
On 2020-06-11 00:47:19 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 02/06/2020 19:34, Patrick Cardona wrote:
>
>> Well, I try to sumarize the state of mounting on a GNU/Linux system (i.e.
>> actually Raspbian 10.4)
>> GWorkspace is 0.9.4 (07 2016 build) : are the mentionned patches applied on
>> this version ?
>

> I fear I never released something newer. Great part of the fixes however was
> not in GWorkspace itself, but in gnustep-base.
>
> My commits in GWorkspace are of 1 Aug 2018 regarding those issues.
>
> Are you using latest gnustep-base release?

This my version of GNustep-base on raspbian Buster (10.4) :

gnustep-base-runtime/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé, automatique]
  GNUstep Base library - daemons and tools

libgnustep-base-dev/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé, automatique]
  GNUstep Base header files and development libraries

libgnustep-base1.26/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé, automatique]
  GNUstep Base library

>> My tests :
>
>> 1) Configuration
>> As You suggested, I am now using System Preferences mount panel and because
>> the usb stick is named CLEPAT,
>> I added this line : "/media/pi/CLEPAT" in the "mount points for removable
>> media".
>

> That is correct. Actually most of this information should come from /etc/mtab
>

>> 2) I plugged the usb stick
>> Nothing automated.
>> Trying : #E from GWorkspace menu:
>> - Lightning on the stick briefly, but No icon was shown on the desktop
>
>> 3) Using Hide/Show Desktop :
>> Nothing happened: I mean No icon was shown on the desktop
>
>> 4) So I mounted this usb stick in a Terminal window in my userspace :
>> udisksctl mount -b ${BLOCK}${PARTITION}
>> Where :
>> BLOCK=/dev/sdb
>> PARTITION=1
>> Nothing happened : I mean No icon was shown on the desktop
>
>> 5) Using Hide/Show Desktop again :
>> This time an icon was shown in the right top corner :
>> - name : CLEPAT (i.e. the usb stick label)
>> - icon type : a folder (not a drive)
>
>> 6) Umounting this folder with #d ? I did not try this yet because I had
>> real data on it...
>
>> 7) Exiting GWorkspace and running it again...
>> The icon on the right corner has been updated : it was now a hard drive
>> icon...
>> Curious. Why not the first time ?
>

> Sometimes the incorrect icon is shown for me, but it should work.
>
> I tested on x86 and it works much better for me.
>
> If I have user right to mount the volume (e.g. I can mount it in terminal
> without sudo) then inserting the USB stick and "check disk" will mount it.
>
> However in any case, both if I have the rights as user and if not, if I mound
> it in Terminal (possibly with console) I see it popping on the desktop (or,
> at worse, a check disk is needed)
>

>> 8) Making a backup of the data with StepSync...
>> And then I tried umounting the NextStep way :
>> a) DND of the drive icon on the Trash icon... : the cursor became in the
>> "prohibited" state and nothing happened.
>> b) Selecting the drive icon on the Destop and then #d : the icon was
>> removed and obviously the stick was shutdown.
>

> Nice that you use StepSync, I am working on a nice, hefty update full of
> features and fixes.
Good news !

> What you describe is strange Does it make any difference using the Trashcan
> of WindowMaker's dock or GWorkspace's Dock? not that it should....
I hide the WindowMaker's dock and only use the GWorkspace's one. I think it is
more visually consistent.