Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster (10.4)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:46:20 +0100

> On 15 Jun 2020, at 08:13, Johannes Brakensiek <johannes@brakensiek.info>
> wrote:
>
> But afaik some parts of libobjc2 2.0 are built from assembler code. The
> needed code for the armhf architecture does not exist yet. That architecture
> is 32bit. If you try the 64bit variant (aarch64) it should work afaik.

I am really confused by this, because git blame tells me that I added those
code paths 5 years ago.  As long as your compiler is defining __arm__ and
__ARM_ARCH, but not defining __SOFT_FP__, we should be building the correct
code paths.

> If you want to build libobjc2 on armhf you will have to use the older version
> 1.9 of libobjc (which does not require clang >= 8, but works with older
> versions of clang as well).

The v2 and v1 ABIs do not use different assembly fast paths.

> Also, it would be very nice if anybody would like to do the missing libobjc2
> assembler implementation for armhf. I think this is a common use case as long
> as the default arch for Raspbian is 32 bit. Even though this arch will be
> running out of support at some time in the future, of course.

I did.  Five years ago.  Note that there was a bug until 15 months ago where
the unwind info was not correctly set, so throwing an exception out of
+initialize would potentially corrupt some floating point state.

David