Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:40:50 -0500

David,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 9:19 AM David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:

<snipped other discussion with Nikolaus...>

The start point is that Gregory does not wish to continue paying for and
maintaining the infrastructure.  I am 100% sympathetic with that,
because it is doing nothing that cannot be done with zero-cost solutions
that tens of thousands of other projects use.

Well, it's not so much that.   It is the fact that in order to update the existing site we need to go to savannah and make a change via SVN and it is not as accessible or easy to update as the one on github.

The simplest solution is to turn off the GNUstep Software Index.  That's
the zero-effort solution.  There are then two alternatives:

The other possible solution is that we simply store the software index someplace else.  Like on heroku or another place which can accommodate it.

  - Someone volunteers to maintain the infrastructure.
  - Someone volunteers to rewrite it to use cheap instead infrastructure.

David

The other issue is the ftp site.  Currently, it holds all releases.  The solution to this is to start using github's releases page more.   This would likely be the best solution, but the FTP site holds a lot of history and I wouldn't want to lose that.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron