Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 19:14:58 -0500

All,

As promised in my reply to Wolfgang, I am starting the thread regarding this migration.

There are a number of factors that are driving this:
--
1) GCC lacks support for many memory management features that are commonly used today
2) GCC's objective-c support is lagging behind and doesn't include support for @[], @{}, @autorelease, etc etc etc

There are a number of reasons why we still use GCC:
--
1) Currently, libobjc2 does not support some architectures and also does not build easily on Windows under MSYS2.  While some older architectures are, perhaps, not as important, building on Windows under MSYS2 is critical.
2) GNUstep is an FSF project, so there is a political component if we don't support GCC anymore.   This is not a show-stopper but is something to consider.

Advantages of LLVM/Clang
--
1) ARC
2) support for modern features in objc that are commonly used

Disadvantages
--
1) libobjc2 is currently, as stated above, unstable or unsupported on some architectures / operating systems.

Approach
--
1) make sure that libobjc2 is supported on as wide a range of platforms as possible.
2) Fix issues with building on Windows/msys2

We should make the transition as easy as possible for people who are currently using GCC to switch over to Clang/LLVM.

Please feel free to discuss...

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento