Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:00:44 -0500

Fred,

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 2:09 PM Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 06.02.2022 um 01:14 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>
> There are a number of factors that are driving this:
> --
> 1) GCC lacks support for many memory management features that are commonly used today
> 2) GCC's objective-c support is lagging behind and doesn't include support for @[], @{}, @autorelease, etc etc etc
> 3) Lack of bug fixes in GCC's implementation of ObjC
> 4) GCC team does not consider ObjC release critical and will and HAS released with broken support for building ObjC targets.
> All of these things are UNACCEPTABLE

Again I beg to differ. Of course the first two point are true and need to be addressed. But I am not aware of any critical bug in gcc that is currently hindering us. There are many missing features and this is really bad for GNUstep and ObjC as a whole. As for the position of the gcc team on ObjC, none of knows and we only may guess here. The one time where a gcc release knowingly broke ObjC was ages ago. Maybe it could happen again, we just don’t know. Stating something as a fact that is just a possibility is a rather annoying habit of our times. Please don’t do so on the GNUstep mailing list.

I am not sure the last time I saw a significant bug fix in the objc code in GCC.

As is typing words in all capital letters. It really doesn’t help in polite conversations.

Fred

GC
--
Gregory Casamento