Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 01:01:50 +0100

Hi,

On 2022-02-06 19:55:10 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@frithmacdonald.me.uk> wrote:

Yes, I remember thinking (and should have said) that I know of no bugs in the GCC implementation (though of course there may be some), and that a bad release many years ago is not indicative of current or recent support.

Exactly, current support is quite nice.

And to this, think of Clang and Apple. APple switched to swift. Its support for ObjC-2 is currently good, but who knows for the future? It perhaps remains frozen language, with a few additions to keep on par with SWIFT compatibility in frameworks (e.g. ObjC 2.1) but we will probably not see Obj-C 3.0 SO this makes on one side Obj-C 2.0 a relatively stable target to match, but also wonder about long-term support (your cited 5 years). Apple makes it always very easy to switch: they ship two compilers, the old and the new with the old and new SDK. We have more complex setups.

However, I think it is fair enough to assume that, unless someone like us volunteers to add a major thing like ARC (or even something as simple as new syntactic sugar), it probably won't happen.

Also true. However it could still prove interesting to enhance GCC a little bit and fix/enhnace the existing runtime. Someone could be motivated to add it, or we could just try ourselves. But still, a hypotetical GCC 13 with better Obj-C support would need time to propagate in various distributions, especially ESR ones.

Riccardo
--
Proudly sent with GNUMail on GNUstep on FreeBSD/x86-64