Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:59:27 +0100

Hi,

On 2022-02-10 02:31:44 +0000 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

Riccardo,

I don't believe that GNUstep should hold back features to remain compatible with any given compiler. Not implementing features that are widely used (not even particularly "modern" ones) because the less capable compiler (in
this case the latest GCC) lacks support is not a healthy direction.

We did not discuss here specific features, we are discussing of switching over.
Which features are we holding back?
Not ARC - not for the end user, only for a contributor. So it is not specifically a "feature of gnustep" .

There is a lot - perhaps seeked - confusion about these "features" and where they need to be used and exposed.

Like you, I believe in choice.  I think that GNUstep should remain
compatible with GCC so long as GCC is able to keep up with the features
needed by the project.

I don't belive ARC or properties are a feature needed by the project. They are conveniences which we could use, we can not. They might be features needed by users relying on our libraries and our APIs. But are we really holding back those? I'm note aware of that from my understading, but if, we should discuss that ans even more important than the given long-term migration.

I do not reply to your other points in discussion because it was a 1:1 opinion, no reason to continue, or you actually misinterpreted my point and an email discussion might only lead to flames. But one thing for sure I do not share: coung architectures just by the number of users. If we were taling about market share, we should ditch everything and code for Windows and perhaps GTK on Linux. All the rest is minority. We are by definition a niche project and for that we need to differentiate us. We are not Cocotron.

Cheers,
Riccardo

--
Proudly sent with GNUMail on GNUstep on FreeBSD/x86-64