Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 17:38:19 +0100

Hi everyone

By reading this discussion, I was thinking there is a problem that no one talk about. This email from Riccardo is a good starting point:

Le 14.02.2022 00:11, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :

But what is a user? I can think at least of two types.

1) User of GNUstep libraries because user of GNUstep applications.
2) User of GNUstep because he writes GNUstep applications,

I would say "User of GNUstep because he writes GNUstep applications *because there is users*.

This Clang/LLVM migration looks like a lot of work for a small team.
Maintaining the GNUStep framework, the applications and the website is already a lot of work. However, the recent releases of very good applications with unmatch features (like GWorkspace and GNUMail), the idea about a live-CD and the upcoming NextSpace desktop, gives the opportunity to show this old but still exciting technologies that can attract a lot of new people, including developers. Plus there is some appealing graphical work that could be put in front place:

- the themes from Bertrand Dekoninck, specialy the macOs one as shown on Gnustep's home page
- Next spirit icons from http://galgot.free.fr/wordpress/?p=1380
- NextSpace logo project from https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/discussions/385

Further more, well known desktop on Linux/BSD have matured but still have annoyances and lack some features. Please read "Fed up with the Mac, I spent six months with a Linux laptop."
https://cfenollosa.com/blog/fed-up-with-the-mac-i-spent-six-months-with-a-linux-laptop-the-grass-is-not-greener-on-the-other-side.html
More and more users are unsatisfied and new desktop projects are launched, reusing Gnome and KDE frameworks or promoting their own (incomplete) libs. While GNUStep and NextSpace are light, fast, solid, very consistent and can give power to power user but it still easy to others. Being light, mature and consistent is sufficient to attract journalists.

So, this Clang/LLVM roadmap is only for the core team. A better roadmap would start with something that everyone can help about:

1. Tasks that should be delegate to non-coders like me:
attract new peoples
- GNUStep live-CD or ISO for real or virtual machine
- GNUStep packages including app-wrappers for GNUStep and NextSpace
- NextSpace has already an ISO but miss a live-CD with apps and wrappers https://github.com/armm77/nextspace-iso-installer
- change default theme for Bertrand's one
- graphical and attractive website
- SPREAD THE WORLD
2. Tasks for users and developers
- general help for both GNUStep and NextSpace (can be shared)
- better applications help
- blog blog blog
3. And I'm confident that new and past dev would come to help on the core team roadmap
(see how NextSpace has already attracted some of them)

My 2 cents
---
Librement,
Xavier Brochard xavier@alternatif.org
La liberté est à l'homme ce que les ailes sont à l'oiseau (Jean-Pierre Rosnay)