Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Clang/LLVM migration roadmap
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 10:58:42 +0000

> On 14 Feb 2022, at 16:38, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone
>
> By reading this discussion, I was thinking there is a problem that no one
> talk about. This email from Riccardo is a good starting point:
>
> Le 14.02.2022 00:11, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :
>> But what is a user? I can think at least of two types.
>> 1) User of GNUstep libraries because user of GNUstep applications.
>> 2) User of GNUstep because he writes GNUstep applications,
>
> I would say  "User of GNUstep because he writes GNUstep applications *because
> there is users*.
>
> This Clang/LLVM migration looks like a lot of work for a small team.

Yes, a migration sounds like a lot of work, but the use of the term 'migration'
was accidentally misleading.

This is not talking about migrating code that exists, rather about changing
what we target/prefer for adding new code/features.

So the actual work discussed is either contributing to GCC to give it the
features we want or improving/widening portability of Clang/libobj2, which
don't effect the existing code.

Even so, it *is* a lot of work, but either route improves things for gnustep
users.

All that being said, I agree with most of your points about there being plenty
of scope for non-coders to contribute other stuff, and like the idea of having
road-maps for those sorts of things.