Re: Should we split the project into two branches?

From: Max Chan
Subject: Re: Should we split the project into two branches?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:13:47 -0500

> On Feb 15, 2022, at 2:54 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 15.02.2022 um 08:36 schrieb Max Chan <xcvista@me.com>:
>>
>> Come to think of it, if we do chase the latest feature especially Swift
>> compatibility, we get Swift Package Manager along with it which can be used
>> as a parallel build system bypassing gnustep-make.
>
> Hm. To me it looks as two distinct projects. GNUstep and some Swift
> compatible thing (however it is called) using a different build system.
> IMHO it is no problem hosting such elsewhere and from time to time
> cherry-picking components from GNUstep and vice versa.
> It is the way my project mySTEP is run. Separate repositories and mutual
> exchange where it makes sense.

What I mean here is, using the parallel build scripts approach, core libraries
like base and gui can allow features written with new features like ARC, Blocks
and XPC to enter without affecting legacy support. The legacy build script is
not even aware of the existence of those new features which they can not
support, while if you want to build those features you need the new build
environment which guarantees the support of those.