Re: Should we split the project into two branches?

From: Max Chan
Subject: Re: Should we split the project into two branches?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:16:50 -0500

> On Feb 14, 2022, at 3:45 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <richard@frithmacdonald.me.uk> wrote:
>
> If you wanted to say that GNUstep is *extremely* reluctant to break
> portability of existing code, that would also be fine and true.  it's also a
> non-issue in practice: who wants to rewrite working code to make it less
> portable?

If adding major new features requires breaking portability to some less than
popular platforms, I’d say it is appropriate to temporarily shed those minority
platforms for now to get the features in, then try to backport.

Here is also a reality check for those minor platforms:
* FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility layer. We can temporarily rely on that
instead of having to do things natively.
* MIPS architecture is dead with MIPS the company and Loongson, the last
company actively developing high performance MIPS architecture chips, announced
their abandonment of the architecture. MIPS company moved on to RISC-V, and
Loongson moved on to their own ISA (which is apparently similar enough to
RISC-V they have built a chip that can support both, selectable using a strap
pin.)
* In some sense, even Windows have gained a Linux compatibility layer in
Windows Subsystem for Linux.