Re: Should we split the project into two branches?

From: Max Chan
Subject: Re: Should we split the project into two branches?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:04:28 -0500

> On Feb 16, 2022, at 2:58 PM, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
> wrote:
>
> No, we don't need that. Your opinion.

We need to do this if we don’t want to screw up performance of Swift-only
programs. There is no point forcing even small, simple Swift-only programs to
operate in full Objective-C compatibility mode with a hard dependency on the
full Objective-C Foundation. If you want speedy Swift, Foundation and Swift
Standard Library need to be at the same level instead of having a one-way hard
dependency.

This also affects the usefulness of Swift Package Manager, itself a Swift-only
program. If we can minimize the dependency of Swift-onnly programs, we can
actually migrate the build systems of even our own core libraries to Swift
Package Manager, replacing gnustep-make.