[DotGNU]Xml linkage in .NET (Was: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage)

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]Xml linkage in .NET (Was: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:50:11 +0530

If memory serves me right, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
> In order to get there, you'd have to produce the framework to expose
> that functionality - and, even if that were trivial, the company would
> still have to develop the proprietary interface to those XML-RPC calls
> and thus interpret them.  That's a lot of work just to get around the
> GNU GPL.

Not exactly ... from what I could understand .NET allows you to get
past all those woes . The .NET remoting system allows you to use
pluggable modules to remotely execute stuff ... This would allow
you to simply wrap the native API in C# ... (from what I know , this
is trivial) and invoke between AppDomains using whatever Remoting
available .... An inVM remoter might even avoid the actual SOAP/XMLRPC
call and pass thr func through the VM ...

> could link the function and then output it's result to STDIO -- and

after all nobody can actually tell if your executable contains a
system("gcc -S file.c") ;)

> webservice issue without the nice XML-RPC formatting.

Well that is IT ! ... Do your own binary protocol and you have ....
(yick!)

> But, I feel sorry for any company that even tries to do this.  It
> really is cost prohibitive.

But we should *not* help them in this work !