Re: [DotGNU]Setting up a dotGNU test machine from scratch

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Setting up a dotGNU test machine from scratch
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:21:29 +0530

If memory serves me right, Keith Christian wrote:
> Could someone point me to a web page or resource for setting up a dotGNU
> system from SCRATCH?

Nope... nothing exists ... sorry about that .

> 1. *Exactly* what stuff to download from the southern-storm site

If you have CVS access it would be much better to use CVS versions as
releases get stale very quickly ... I have my CVS repositories in /opt/cvs/
under 'dotgnu'.

So coming back to southern-storm.com.au

You have to download

treecc, pnet , pnetlib and pnetC to get a full fledged development system.
cscctest is our compiler unit test framework ... download it too to be sure.

> 2. A suggested directory structure for building the system (tar zxf,
> configure, make, etc., etc.)

cd /tmp/
mkdir dotgnu
tar -xzvf ~/treecc-0.1.4.tar.gz
cd treecc-0.1.4
./configure
make
make install # (as root)

Repeat process for pnet ...

Building pnetlib is redundant right now , as the resulting binaries still
have errors... But that also is the ./configure && make

> 3. After the dotGNU software is installed, how to test that I have everything
> installed correctly.

Read pnet/tools/pnet_build.sh which is our automated build framework ... That
runs a number of tests on the runtime ...

> After dotGNU is built on my two Linux systems, are there some simple exercises
> to see that it is working correctly and to test the interfaces between the
> computers?  I can SSH, FTP, Telnet now so I know the hub is working, etc.

The distributed execution environment is still under heavy design, so I
guess the interfaces don't matter much ...

I'm in a real hurry .. please do ask if you need more info ... I can cookup
a checkout_and_build.sh ...