Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:46:51 +0530

If memory serves me right, Peter Minten wrote:
> Though the freedom of software is an important goal for this project
> the ultimate goal is to keep MS and co from closing up the internet.

This is a fairly good idea of what DotGNU aims at ...

> It should also be clear that keeping the internet open fits perfectly
> within the free software philosophy and is thus not a threat like the
> non-philosophical open source concept.

Of course, Free Software should add the "Freedom to Use" to be "Useful"
.... If internet gets locked up and a (or for that matter any) proprietary
company holds the key , then Free Software migration of the real users
can be hampered and they know it as well..

> Putting out an image of 'trying to keep the internet open' will make
> us more attractive for companies and projects that don't entirely
> agree with the Free Software philosophy.

Hmm... Popularity has its bad effects as well ... But Free Software has
always recieved support due to reasons other than ethical. The "keeping
the internet open" ideas is very good !!!!...

Make sure we do not dilute principles for popularity ..

> Another idea I had was to organize an IRC debate about webservices
> where all the players could make their stance. If we can get Sun and
> MS to join in that debate (I guess they will since it's a good opportunity
> for some cheap PR :-) the debate will attract a lot of media attention.
> If they won't join, well we can always have a debate between the free
> software / open source folks and put in the slashdot announcement
> that MS and Sun were to chicken :-). If we do this we need to get our
> best speaker out, anybody an idea who that is?

Truly Machiavellian !!!...

Shall we go forward with this ? .. I'm asking for a vote ..