Re: [Duplicity-talk] PASSPHRASE, the environment, memory, etc.

From: Jay Summet
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] PASSPHRASE, the environment, memory, etc.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:02:16 -0400

I've noticed various "how can I hide my key" questions lately, and it makes me
ask the following question:

Why not have duplicity use gpg to encrypted data with a public key (to a private
key) so that you can encrypt data with only the public key, and only the person
with the private key can decrypt/restore the data?

Obviously, some indexing data would have to remain unencrypted (or encrypted
with a symmetric cypher and a locally stored password), but wouldn't such a
scheme allow you to encrypt/backup on an "untrusted" box, and then only
decrypt/restore with a remotely stored secret (private) key?

(Although really, if they have full access to the box you are backing up, the
only benefit of having encrypted backups is to protect data that has been
deleted already...)

Jay