Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity 0.4.4.RC2 Ready

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity 0.4.4.RC2 Ready
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:04:19 -0500

Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>
>> Added --time-separator <char> to allow users to change the time
>> separator from ':' to another character that will work on their
>> system.  HINT: For Windows SMB shares, use --time-separator='_'.
>> NOTE: '-' is not valid as it conflicts with date separator.
>
> I'm afraid this feature does not work yet (at least not with SMB shares):

<snip>

> I suspect the "_" substitution is not happening.

OK, now I'm getting frustrated.  I had a test case working on both Linux
and Windows.  Now it does not.  Must have screwed something else up with
the other changes.  More below.

> Also, I would prefer if we just have *one* sane format for duplicity
> files that works for all filesystems, rather than giving several options
> to customize the format. Why not just use
>
> prefix.year-month-day-hour-minutes-seconds.suffix
>
> and skip the timezone part completely (use GMT instead, as discussed
> earlier)? And maybe remove the --short-filenames format, as it will then
> be useless?

This was intended as a short-term fix while I untangle the mess in
handling multiple file name formats.  However, given this, I've just
made the decision to drop --short-file-names and standardize on one
format.  There have been several formats suggested and I'll adopt one of
them, probably close to the one above.  All times will be in GMT to make
things simpler.  We've spent entirely too much time with this issue.

...Ken